Last 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson
This weekend was a prime example of the old saying “When the top goes down, the price goes up.” The last retail 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible Mustang crossed the block on Saturday evening at the inaugural Barrett-Jackson “Hot August Nights” auction in Reno, Nevada, selling for $500,000 to car collector Don Damon of Great Bend. As the winning bidder Damon will not only has a coveted collector’s item in his garage, but he will also have the opportunity to choose the specific options during the building of the car including the color.
The 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible was donated by the Ford Motor Company with all proceeds from the sale of the car going to benefit the BIAA (Brain Injury Association of America), a charity who helps victims with severe brain trauma. Legendary race car driver Parnelli Jones, who became an avid supporter of this charity group after his son Page Jones was severely injured in 1994 during a sprint car race, was on hand to witness the car being sold at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center and drove the car up on stage. The BIAA charity group was a major part of Parnelli’s son’s recovery and is the subject of an upcoming film titled “Godspeed.” Jones said this association was a vital part of the therapy and support needed for the successful recovery his son experienced.
The winning bidder is scheduled to receive the Shelby GT500 Convertible at the end of 2013 when production ends, and Parnelli will sign the car in appreciation for the donation to BIAA.
- Shelby unveils 2011 GT350 at Barrett-Jackson
- Hurst Mustang Convertible pace car to be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson for charity
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: One-off 2013 Shelby GT500 Cobra raises $200,000 for charity
- Roush Barrett-Jackson Edition Mustang prototype auctioned off for $100,000
- Hurst Mustang Convertible Pace Car auctioned off for charity at Barrett-Jackson
- Unique 2014 Mustang Cobra Jet prototype sells for $200,000 at Barrett-Jackson
- Shelby GT350 Convertible Widebody to cross the block at Barrett-Jackson in Las Vegas
- Barrett-Jackson 2014: Original, unrestored 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 sells for $176,000
- Mint 1968 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $330,000 at Barrett-Jackson in Palm Beach
- Photo Gallery: 2013 Ford Mustang Convertible in Deep Impact Blue