Last 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson
This weekend was a prime example of the old saying “When the top goes down, the price goes up.” The last retail 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible Mustang crossed the block on Saturday evening at the inaugural Barrett-Jackson “Hot August Nights” auction in Reno, Nevada, selling for $500,000 to car collector Don Damon of Great Bend. As the winning bidder Damon will not only has a coveted collector’s item in his garage, but he will also have the opportunity to choose the specific options during the building of the car including the color.
The 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible was donated by the Ford Motor Company with all proceeds from the sale of the car going to benefit the BIAA (Brain Injury Association of America), a charity who helps victims with severe brain trauma. Legendary race car driver Parnelli Jones, who became an avid supporter of this charity group after his son Page Jones was severely injured in 1994 during a sprint car race, was on hand to witness the car being sold at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center and drove the car up on stage. The BIAA charity group was a major part of Parnelli’s son’s recovery and is the subject of an upcoming film titled “Godspeed.” Jones said this association was a vital part of the therapy and support needed for the successful recovery his son experienced.
The winning bidder is scheduled to receive the Shelby GT500 Convertible at the end of 2013 when production ends, and Parnelli will sign the car in appreciation for the donation to BIAA.
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Low mileage, all original 1968 Shelby GT500KR sells for $194,700
- Classic Design Concepts Flashback Mustang going to Barrett-Jackson auction in January
- Aftermarket companies team up to build charity Mustang that will debut at SEMA
- Barret-Jackson 2012: 1969 Ford Mustang 428 Cobra Jet R Code sells for $79,200
- SPEED TV announces winner of Ford Racing Champions Shelby GT500
- Galpin 2010 Ford Mustang Convertible Widebody sells for $50,600 at Barrett-Jackson
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Ford Mustang Wrap-Up
- SPEED to give away custom Shelby GT500 as Hagerty Fantasty Bid grand prize during Barrett-Jackson
- Roush and Barrett-Jackson team up for limited edition Mustang
- 2013 Shelby GT500 prototype to be sold at Barrett-Jackson for charity