Last 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible sells for $500,000 at Barrett-Jackson
This weekend was a prime example of the old saying “When the top goes down, the price goes up.” The last retail 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible Mustang crossed the block on Saturday evening at the inaugural Barrett-Jackson “Hot August Nights” auction in Reno, Nevada, selling for $500,000 to car collector Don Damon of Great Bend. As the winning bidder Damon will not only has a coveted collector’s item in his garage, but he will also have the opportunity to choose the specific options during the building of the car including the color.
The 2014 Shelby GT500 Convertible was donated by the Ford Motor Company with all proceeds from the sale of the car going to benefit the BIAA (Brain Injury Association of America), a charity who helps victims with severe brain trauma. Legendary race car driver Parnelli Jones, who became an avid supporter of this charity group after his son Page Jones was severely injured in 1994 during a sprint car race, was on hand to witness the car being sold at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center and drove the car up on stage. The BIAA charity group was a major part of Parnelli’s son’s recovery and is the subject of an upcoming film titled “Godspeed.” Jones said this association was a vital part of the therapy and support needed for the successful recovery his son experienced.
The winning bidder is scheduled to receive the Shelby GT500 Convertible at the end of 2013 when production ends, and Parnelli will sign the car in appreciation for the donation to BIAA.
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: 1968 Shelby EXP 500 "The Green Hornet" fails to sell at $1.8 million
- Barrett-Jackson 2012: 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 sells for $247,500
- Rare 1970 Shelby GT500 going up for auction at Barrett-Jackson
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Low mileage, all original 1966 Shelby GT350 sells for $247,500
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Ring Brothers "Dragon" highest selling Mustang at $346,500
- Need for Speed Ford Mustang movie car to be sold at Barrett-Jackson's Palm Beach auction
- Abundance of Shelby Mustangs set for Barrett-Jackson's 2013 Scottsdale auction
- Photo Gallery: One-off Hagerty Fantasy Bid 2013 Shelby GT500
- One-off Shelby GT500s to be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson for charity
- Barrett-Jackson 2013: Ring Brothers 1965 Ford Mustang "Producer" goes for $286,000