Ford to offer body-in-white 2015 Mustang with solid rear axle
The 2015 Mustang marks the first time in the model’s history that an independent rear suspension will be a standard feature. While this may be a positive change for the majority of buyers who will drive their car on the street, hardcore drag racers are likely bemoaning the fact that their beloved solid rear axle is gone. After all, live axles are lighter, cheaper and easier to maintain, and, of course, much better for drag racing.
They might not need to worry, though, as a new report suggests that Ford will be offering a version of the 2015 Mustang with a solid rear axle. The web site Gas2.com spoke with a Ford Racing representative at the Performance Racing Industry (PRI) Show in Indianapolis, IN this past week and claims that Ford will offer a 2015 Mustang “body in white” with the independent rear swapped out for a 9-inch SRA just for drag racers.
“The live axle version of the 2015 Ford Mustang is expected to debut at next year’s PRI show as part of a new ‘body in white’ program intended to attract serious racers to the platform,” says the web site.
Gas2.org also points out that once a solid rear axle conversion is developed, it shouldn’t be too long before customers can purchase the kit as a stand-alone option either from Ford Racing or from the supplier. We would fully expect the same solid rear axle to also be offered in the upcoming 2015 Mustang Cobra Jet.
Let’s hope the rumor is true, as it will provide a better product to the regular Mustang customer while satisfying hardcore racers at the same time.
- Barrett-Jackson 2014: First production 2015 Ford Mustang raises $300,000 for charity
- Video: The 2015 Ford Mustang unveiled at its home in Dearborn, MI
- 2015 Ford Mustang to be officially revealed in December
- 2015 Mustang to be offered in right-hand drive, European version won't get the 5.0L V8?
- Photo Gallery: 2015 Ford Mustang debuts in New York City
- Turbocharged four-cylinder Mustang to make a return in 2015?
- Photo Gallery: 2015 Ford Mustang debuts in Los Angeles
- 2015 Ford Mustang rendered with Evos design cues
- Video: What it takes to put a 2015 Mustang up on top of the Empire State Building
- Is this the best looking 2015 Mustang rendering yet?