Will the 2015 Mustang actually weigh more?
One of the biggest rumors about the 2015 Ford Mustang was an overall reduction in weight, with earlier reports speculating that the new pony car could drop as much as 400 pounds. However, the closer we get to production the hope of a lighter Mustang seems to be fading fast. Car and Driver recently stated that “while we’d still like to believe our initial proclamation that the Mustang will drop about 200 pounds, we no longer have faith that this will come to pass,” and Edmunds.com reiterated that sentiment by reporting “our guess is that the new car will gain about 100 pounds, which would place the GT model in the low 3,700-pound range.”
More confirmation about a heftier 2015 Mustang now comes from aftermarket company Steeda, who currently has four pre-production 2015 Mustangs at their facility for product development. They recently posted a new item on their blog about the development of new parts for the car, and are claiming the 2015 Mustang is actually 200-300 pounds heavier than the 2014 model:
“Our work is cut out for us because unbeknown to most Mustang aficionados (and not “officially” confirmed by Ford for obvious reasons), the 2015 Mustang ended up gaining 200-300 pounds in this remake – and with weight being the “enemy of performance”, there are plenty of challenges needed to ensure that the 2015 iteration of America’s favorite Pony Car isn’t left at the starting line spinning its wheels against the competition.”
This news is disappointing given the initial rumors, although not that unsurprising. The new independent rear suspension most likely adds weight, and new safety regulations and added technology likely help to pack on additional pounds as well. Hopefully Ford will release additional specs on the 2015 Mustang soon and we will know for sure.
- 2015 Saleen Mustang rendered
- Photo Gallery: The 2015 Ford Mustang basks in the Southern California sun
- 2015 Ford Mustang rendered by Popular Hot Rodding
- Photo Gallery: 2015 Ford Mustang debuts in New York City
- Galpin Auto Sports virtually customizes the 2015 Ford Mustang
- Photo Gallery: Ford shows off 2015 Mustang in Ingot Silver
- Spy Photos: 2015 Mustang interior revealed
- Ford to offer body-in-white 2015 Mustang with solid rear axle
- 2015 Mustang will be first Ford to feature next generation SYNC AppLink system
- Video: Learn what inspired the 2015 Ford Mustang's exterior